Monday, July 11, 2011

Blue in the garden

Blue is one of my favorite colors. Blue is less represented in the garden than colors like pink, purple or yellow but it is there if you look closely enough.


Here, for example, you can see the blues of (beginning with top photo and going clockwise): Pulmonaria, lobelia, Virginia bluebell, Siberian squill and nigella, and in the center photo, a blue 'Currier and Ives' cup filled with nigella.

Other blues in my garden


Abundant, fresh blueberries in my garden
I began growing blueberries a few years ago after seeing them in someone else's Iowa garden. I planted 5 bushes. I understood that one should buy more than one variety for better pollination, and that blueberries need acidic soil. The best thing to do is to measure the pH and adjust the soil as needed prior to planting them. Instead, I planted them and work on the soil regularly, using aluminum sulfate and coffee grounds along with generous amounts of compost.


When you grow blueberries, you can make a fresh blueberry pie! Find my pie recipe by clicking here.


Forget-me-nots


Art in the garden


More garden art, in a patch of nigella


Hydrangea, one of the Endless Summer cultivars


Larkspur and nigella comingle in the rocky garden. No, I did not mean "rock" garden. It's a garden area that has many rocks, but it does not meet the criteria for a rock garden. Rock gardens typically feature alpine plants and this one does not.

Today I am linking with the following:

Seasonal Sundays at The Tablescaper
Mosaic Monday at Little Red House
 Bloomin' Tuesday at Ms. Green Thumb Jean
Outdoor Wednesday at A Southern Daydreamer

Warm Regards,
Beth


18 comments:

Becca's Dirt said...

I do love all of your blues and you certainly have some. I agree that there aren't enough blues. I love blueberries and have put mine away in the freezer. I'm gonna check out your recipe.

Lavender Cottage said...

Hi Beth
It is hard to find a true blue in the garden but yours has many shades of this beautiful colour. I like your garden art, to me it just adds that extra pop of colour and interest.
The nigella blossoms in the teacup are a nice touch especially such a s special one as a Currier & Ives.
Hugs,
Judith

LV said...

A great presentation of your blue flowers.

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Beth, I love all your pretty blues! Now I'm running right over for your pie recipe!
xo Yvonne

Pondside said...

The blues of late spring and early summer are just about gone from my garden, so I thoroughly enjoyed yours!

The Ebullient Gardener said...

Love the blues in your garden! I think they give a garden a unique look, as they are not as common as the other colors! Thanks for sharing!

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

Beautiful blues...especially the "metal" ones! lol
Have a beautiful week!!!

Diane said...

I so agree about blue! I just makes the pinks prettier, as well.

Love that hydrangea!

Rettabug said...

How wonderful all your blues look, Beth! I love that color...I used to grow bachelor buttons as a child & I remember that deep, rich Barbara Bush Blue color.

thank you for sharing your blueberry pie recipe. My sister's (Dad's) bushes will soon be producing & I'll be sure to try it.

fondly,
Rett

Racquel said...

It's my favorite color too and you have some great examples this week! :)

Zoey said...

I love blue in the garden, too, but have a tough time growing anything blue. I love your Endless Summer hydrangea. I have one of those, but it has not bloomed in the three years since I planted it. I just have no luck with them--I don't know what I am doing wrong!

The Tablescaper said...

I love blue everywhere, but particularly in the garden. Maybe it's because it's that much more unusual. Thanks so much for brining your blues to Seasonal Sundays!

- The Tablescaper

Judy ~ Through My Garden Window said...

Blue is my favorite color too - but I don't have many blue blooms in it. What a beautiful garden you have.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

That's a very bright mosaic Beth, just beautiful:@)

Jean said...

Such lovely blue colors! They would brighten up any garden. Jean

rosesandgargoyles said...

Very pretty!
Jeanni

Deb said...

Love, love, love ALL your blues! Your collage is so very pretty, and your garden is lovely. (Also thanks for the link to Buster...I just clicked over and now the doggy diary is on my reading list--I have to find out what happens to that precious doggy!)

daisy said...

Lovely display of blues. Can't wait to try some of these!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails