Thursday, July 28, 2011

Orange and Yellow In The Garden

Yellows and oranges - especially yellows - are very prominent in my late July garden. One could say that is mainly due to large drifts of rudbeckia; and that's true, but there are others as well. Come along and I'll show you. Above, a washtub filled with yellow and orange zinnias sits to the left of butterfly weed in my border gardens.



The honeysuckle is blooming for the second time this year.


This is a stunning daylily in soft orange with a deeper orange or pink-toned eye.


Marigolds


Here's a close-up of the butterfly weed.


Nasturtiums, which are edible
They taste "peppery" to me and look beautiful on a salad.


Lantana


Echinacea Big Sky series 'Sundown'


A two-toned Rudbeckia


Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm'


Ratibida pinnata (Yellow coneflower)


Rudbeckia 'Prairie Sun'
2003 AAS Winner


Rudbeckia 'Lemon-a-peel'


Rudbeckia 'Indian Summer'
1995 AAS Winner


Spaghetti squash blossoms


Echinacea Big Sky series 'Harvest Moon'


Coreopsis


Snapdragon


Hemerocallis 'Frans Hals
I adore this two-toned daylily!


Porcupine grass, green with yellow


Lillium species 'Leightlinii'


Hemerocallis 'Double River'

Now, a few views from above. If you were to compare these photos with ones from 2-3 weeks ago, you'd notice a very visible color change, from pinks and purples to yellows and oranges. The garden is ever changing, every day, every season, every year...


Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm' in the border garden, east side. Oops! I left my gardening buckets in the photo!













Yes, we are CERTIFIED.
That is, we have an official wildlife habitat on our property. For information on how you can certify your wildlife habitat, click here.


Experiment with orange and yellow in your garden. Hot colors that look great together and also pair well with red, even purple.


I'm linking up with Tootsie at Tootsie Time for Fertilizer Friday - I missed you all last week as I was on vacation. Good to be home again, albeit to a weedy garden!

Speaking of vacations, I will be hosting a monthly travel meme "Travels Near and Far" beginning on August 15. I hope you'll join the fun!  I will be sharing photos and information about my recent trip. Where, you might ask?  Here's a hint:




Warm Regards,
Beth


13 comments:

  1. I do like how your garden changes color. That is an awesome idea! Everything looks so lush and green. I could not even imagine keeping it all up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos. Your garden is so lovely. Interesting bit about Nasturtiums. And congrats on being certified as a wild life habitat. I will have to look at that link, we have quite a few animals come through our yard each day. Your meme sounds wonderful, August is a busy month for us but I will try to link up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I brought back 2 Prairie Sun back from Mo last week - and a grandaddy long legs with them! Thank goodness he stayed in the back with the plants!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back Beth! Your yellows and oranges are beautiful! Love the up and above views! I hope to do that as well! Congrats on being certified, that is great! Happy Gardening! Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful. It looks like a botanical garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many gorgeous oranges and yellows. That was a real treat. Fabulous views of your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wildlife habitat on your property? Good for you. You and Rambling Woods would get along great as you have common interests. Here's the link to her blog, in case you'd like to visit: Rambling Woods

    I'm so glad you visited today! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so pretty. love smelling honeysuckles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Beth. I love your honeysuckle. Your gardens are colorful. I really enjoy visiting your blog. You're an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty your garden with all the yellow and oranges...Is that straw you have on the grown? I been wondering if that's what I should do to mine..I think it looks nice as well. Happy Saturday. Thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Beth, you have so many gorgeous flowers! All of the colors are so vibrant.and your photos are wonderful. I hope you are having a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a pretty post!!! Your photos are just lovely!
    Once again I am just loving the tour of all the gardens that have linked in to my little party! I am so excited to visit each and every post...they are all so inspiring and I am NEVER disappointed! The creative gardens and colorful displays that I am lucky to see are inspirations that I would never have found had I not found each of the gardeners I see online! Thank you so much for sharing your garden with my Friday Flaunt this week...I do hope you will link in again soon!
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

    ReplyDelete

I treasure comments and read each one. Hope you enjoyed your visit to Beyond The Garden Gate!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails