Thursday, August 25, 2011

Fertilizer Friday - Insect Edition

The garden is still my pride and joy; still stellar in its beauty although it is past its peak. Small changes, including insect sightings, herald the upcoming change from summer to fall.



Butterfly weed


There are lots of these milkweed bugs on the butterfly weed.


Also saw this monarch caterpillar on the butterfly weed



A white spider on the verbena bonariensis


These are undesirables: Eastern tent caterpillars. Reportedly they can defoliate an entire tree.


 
Betty Corning still has lots of blooms.



Multi Blue clematis is blooming again.


One of the few hemerocallis still blooming: Autumn Minaret

The weather has cooled a bit, and the roses are blooming again. Shown here: Buck rose 'Pearlie Mae'


I grow my elephant ears in the sun. At the Discovery Garden, they're grown in shade. Where do your elephant ears grow?


Early Autumn still life

 

Annuals are the stars of the garden right now, still blooming happily.





I'm enjoying the lantana this summer.



I did some deadheading of the Nigella, and it paid off with new blooms.


Geranium 'Rozanne' has been reliable too.


My perennial sweet pea is just covered with dark pink and pale pink blooms.


Kiss Me Over The Garden Gate needs to move from part sun to full sun next year - my friend's is in full sun, and it's much larger and bloomed earlier. These annuals reseed freely. I'll harvest seeds as well as transplant tiny seedlings in the spring.


The zinnias have done well this summer. I hope to harvest seeds from these for next year too.


Layers in the garden


I have old-fashioned white, pink and lavender phlox that originally came from my mother-in-law's garden. Last year I had lots of powdery mildew, but I've thinned them and it's not an issue this year.





Serenity in the hosta farm





The European Mountain Ash is full of berries.


Remember my Pumpkin On A Stick (ornamental eggplant)? The "pumpkins" are beginning to turn orange.


A look at the Easter Egg Plant; the "eggs" are growing. They'll get to the size of hen's eggs and will turn color: green, yellow, etc...What fun!


A look from above, standing on the deck. Still very green and yellowMy early summer colors tend more toward pinks and purples.

My plans for next year include bringing more color into the late summer garden. I also like the look of dark-leaved plants in the garden, such as purple leaved basil, or maybe Ninebark.

 

This year's 'Big Boy' and 'Better Boy' tomatoes are really tall. In addition to those two varieties, I'm growing 'Early Girl,' 'Roma', 'Lemon Boy' and 'Sugar Snack.'

So far, the Romas and Early Girls have produced heavily. The others are just beginning to bear fruit.




 

Fall is on the way! Enjoy the last days of summer - I plan to!

Goin' Swimming!
Not with dolphins, however...
I'm heading to the pool!!!

Now you head over to Tootsie's for Fertilizer Friday. I'm linking up and so are many others, so go see the beautiful flower flaunts!

Don't forget my travel party, Travels Near And Far. Simply put together a post about somewhere you've gone - or even where you dream of going - and link up on the 15th of each month. To read my post about my trip to New York City, click here.


Warm Regards,
Beth










11 comments:

  1. Nice post, Beth! You still have lots blooming at your house. I do as well. I can see the first fall aster bloom starting to open, as well.

    I think the cooler weather is helping things stay around, although we had a lot of rain yesterday and that didn't help the phlox any.

    Happy FF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great garden. I wish I had more room to plant like crazy. I am really liking the Ninebark Summer Wine that I put in this spring. I have never seen eggplant like this, wonder if you can dry them. I must see if I can order that late blooming daylily.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, Beth! I am in awe over all your wonderful plantings. Such variety & you are so knowledgeable about them, too. Many of yours I've never even heard of. Thanks for the education.

    I hope to be able to join in your party soon. I just had to buy a new printer & I got one with a flat bed scanner, so I can now copy lots of old photographs. That is how ALL of our trips are stored.

    Keep weeding & enjoy the cooler weather. Ours is HEAVENLY right now!

    Hugs,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome- love walking through your garden with you. So much still going on. My tomatoes are huge, too- taller than I am- but that's not too hard to do.
    Have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh everything looks wonderful! Great job here - except for those bad worms!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a dark-leaved Ninebark that I just love, I bet you will love it too! Everything is looking so good, so much color! I need to get some of those bell-shaped Clematis, like Betty Corning.

    Ugh! Those tent caterpillars have always given me the absolute creeps.

    And I'm so jealous of all your tomatoes. I have hardly any red ones yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the post! Love the insect pictures, my daughter really enjoyed them being the insect seeker she is!! My elephant ears grow in the sun! They are some that my brother gave me and I didn't get them planted until June! Wow they are going great, love them! Your gardens really look great! Happy Gardening! Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the variety of your post with the different insects and critters! Ornamental eggplant- such a neat plant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beth, your garden is amazing. Love the clematis and even all the bugs, except for the tent caterpillars, lol.

    My tomatoes didn't do very well this year for the second year in a row, but maybe next year?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello from Belgium,have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Beth, the bugs are just as beautiful as the flowers, specially the pretty monarch caterpillar! Gorgeous blooms and great photography and garden. You look so cute too! I'm also your newest follower, I thought I had before...ok, so I am now! Hugs, FABBY

    ReplyDelete

I treasure comments and read each one. Hope you enjoyed your visit to Beyond The Garden Gate!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails