Friday, June 6, 2014

There's a "hoe" lotta gardening going on!

The weather has warmed up, and there is a "hoe" lot of gardening going on here at Sunsplash Gardens. I admit, I'm a bit obsessive-compulsive when it comes to my garden. There's a list as long as my arm of things I should do, things I want to do, and things I could do in the gardens. But there are only 24 hours in a day! And only half of those are in daylight.


Pruning in the berry patch is one thing I've been doing lately. There are a lot of dead canes that need removed. I've also been pruning dead wood off roses, weigela, honeysuckle, and other plants as there was a great deal of winter kill.


 Today I dug up yet another dead rose - I've lost 9 this year - this is unprecedented. Usually I don't lose any over the winter.  :(


I moved three daylilies that were not thriving, to an area where I think (hope) they will do much better. They just aren't liking the clay soil here, but I have areas on the back of the lot that have good black soil, a perfect loam. Much of my garden does grow on clay soil, and it's done relatively well. I use a lot of compost for amendment.


 Clematis roots need shade. Here I place pine needle mulch over the roots.


This looks like an ocean of green! If you look closely, you'll see the tomato plants. Around them I laid newspaper, then covered it with grass clippings. This is my attempt at weed reduction.  :)
I've not done this with the newspaper before. I wonder if a big wind comes, if they will blow away. Hope not!

 Larry Conrad once commented on Tootsie's blog as to how beautifully edged her gardens were. He indicated that edging is very important to the look of a garden. Well, I've learned a lot from Larry and this is one thing I have (and still am) incorporating.


 I edged this garden - and it's LONG - last year. I used both a spade and an edger, and once the trench was dug, I filled it with my (pine needle) mulch. This makes a very nice looking edge, to my way of thinking.


 I'm now edging the triangle garden.


Oh my goodness, yes...there's a "hoe" lotta gardening going on...
                                  ...and we haven't even talked about weeding yet...








20 comments:

  1. WOW! Lots of work going on for sure! It is all going to be so beautiful! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Love your title today. I'm actually going up to help an older lady with her weeding today. This reminds me to take my hoe!


    Everything is looking lovely and weed-free in your garden.

    Hey I have those same pink shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, everything looks wonderful under your care. I am glad that my little garden is all I have to tend as I could not do ALL that you do. Will you be replacing all nine rosebushes? What a heartache!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You edging does look fabulous! Nice neat edges do make for a lovely garden. I am sore from all the gardening I've been doing..it's pouring down rain today and through the next few days so I'll get some much needed rest! Don't work too hard!
    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you have been busy! I need to invest in a edger. It sure make every thing look so put together. Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your gardens look lovely and every bit of your effort in what your doing clearly shows. Hard work but well worth the effort.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  7. In response to Vee's question about replacing the rose bushes: I won't be replacing them, at least not at this point. Philosophically I look at it as an opportunity to plant something else there. Plus, we anticipate a major garden project with hardscaping and a water feature, and I will need to move the plants in those areas so this gives me a little space. I'm sad, though, to lose my favorite David Austin rose. What a beauty he was! ('Bishop's Castle')

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admire you, Beth, for your beautiful gardens. Sorry you lost roses this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have done well it's a lot of work but the garden looks very good.
    Merle........

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have given me some good ideas about using the millions of pine needles I have. I always lose 2 or 3 roses each winter. This year 2 for sure and one that has a green heart, but no branches. Yet I cannot stop buying roses. I so love them. Your garden looks grand. Thanks for the tour and ideas. Your edging looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love your play on words. Your garden looks wonderful ... as it should with all your hard work.

    Sorry about your roses. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great! Larry also gave me (perhaps the same) good tips about edging and that's what I've been doing this week too: edging and mulching with wood chips. It really does take a garden up a notch in my opinion, and now I notice edges everywhere I look. Yours look very nice! Thanks for sharing photos of your hard work. -Beth

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Beth,

    I lost a lot this year also, five rose bushes, autumn clematis, some heucheras, grasses, etc. I guess it gives us a chance to buy some more garden goodies.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your garden is looking good, Beth, with all your hard work! I love your pink clogs. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, this past winter necessitated a lot of extra gardening, didn't it? But, as you say when something dies it opens an opportunity for a new plant.
    When we had turf, distinct edging was a must but now I'm more for blending edging materials.
    Your hard work is paying off Beth and I'm excited to hear you're going to incorporate some new hardscaping and a water feature.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, it looks as though you have done loads already! I hope that the mulching works for you. It is so sad about your rose bushes, you will have to do some shopping to replace them! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. All your hard work is paying off, everything looks beautiful. sad about the roses though. Nice ring too :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. No wonder you're so thin, Beth!!! That kind of exercise will keep you young, too. You look WONDERFUL! (your ring is very pretty, too) I hope you wear gloves...a sewing friend was bitten on the thumb by a snake while working in her garden & almost lost that digit.

    I'm sorry about the loss of your David Austin rose. I've made a note to look for 'Bishop's Castle'. I have a few spots that I think a new rose would do well. I lost a couple of mine, too. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's a shame you lost so many roses. I lost a few things as well. My garden may be smaller than yours, but I've enjoyed spending lots of time in, trying to make it neater and more attractive. Your gardens are inspiring!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  20. So much to do here and it will continue to wait. I noticed all the dead wood on trees, shrubs and some I am unsure will recover. And edging, well that got waylaid when I did and now it will wait for fall or next spring...weeding, weeding, weeding, mulching is needed badly here.

    ReplyDelete

I treasure comments and read each one. Hope you enjoyed your visit to Beyond The Garden Gate!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails