Monday, August 12, 2013

Summer's Last Hurrah (in the garden)

The days are a little cooler, a few leaves have turned color, and school will be starting soon. Very, very soon summer will be but a memory as autumn arrives in its glory.

We received 1/2" of rain last night, for which I am very grateful. The rain barrels are full again and the garden got a nice drink.


 'Supertunia Vista Bubblegum' is splendid in the window box on the potting shed. Next year, I have plans for this wonderful petunia to be in several other containers in various locations. In the wheelbarrow, mound tulips bloom prolifically.


 Close-up view; I wonder if these petunias will reach the ground before frost?


 I like this look too but may opt for wave petunias rather than mounding in the wheelbarrow next year.


 Starring at Sunsplash Gardens right now are phlox, rudbeckia, and echinacea. To view our echinacea drifts, check out this post.

This phlox came from my mother-in-law's garden. The name is unknown.


 'Orange Perfection' lives up to its name. Beautiful!


 Kiss Me Over The Garden Gate is an old-fashioned self-seeding annual. It gets 6-7' tall. As you can see, the Japanese beetles seem to enjoy the tasty leaves.


 Endless Summer cultivar - I have several of these but blooms are scant this year. I imagine they have been affected by last year's severe drought.


 Cleome is a beautiful annual. I found this white one especially lovely.


'Planet Max' is one of but a handful of hemerocallis that continue to bloom.


Kaspia (Siberian Statice) is used by florists as a filler. I enjoy growing it here too. It seems to be quite hardy in my Zone 5 gardens.

It's hard to believe that soon the mums and asters will be blooming. I plan to enjoy every last little bit of summer to the fullest. Hope you will as well.


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails