Thursday, March 29, 2012

Early Spring in an Iowa garden

The red twig dogwood is stunning with its green foliage. Notice the flower buds; this shrub is pretty in every season.

I love the multi-color pulmonaria.



I call this photograph "Blue on Blue."

I have pink as well as white hellebores in the cottage garden. I'm not sure what cultivar they are.

A purple finch sings (he must be happy that spring is here) from his perch in my redbud tree.

Puschkinia scilloides libenotica
(Striped Squill)


Chinodoxa forbsii 'Blue Giant'
(Glory of the snow)


Tulips blooming on March 25
Way ahead of time for Iowa!

I don't remember planting any hyacinths, but obviously I did; I don't think a bird planted them here!

This weekend I did a daffodil head count. 750 daffodils!

I needed to thin them, did so, and gave away about 150. I have daffodils on the fencerow, and in little bunches, as well as an en masse planting. In addition, I have underplanted many of my daylilies with daffodils.

Below, just a few of the varieties of daffodils in my gardens.











Last summer I had creeping Jenny in a pot and as it got closer to winter, I transplanted it. You can see it's creeping along quite well...I adore that chartreuse color, and even though it's a ground cover, it's very easy to pull if it gets out of hand.

"Gardening is about enjoying the smell of things growing in the soil, getting dirty without feeling guilty, and generally taking the time to soak up a little peace and serenity."  ~ Lindley Karstens


Thanks for visiting!

Beth



LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails