Friday, February 21, 2014

Butterflies in the Garden


Eastern Comma


 Female Black Swallowtail, Female Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Pipevine Swallowtail, or Spicebush Swallowtail - Any experts out there who can clarify for me? I've looked at a number of these butterflies online and there are great differences in coloration in the same species. My best guess is that this is a female Eastern Tiger Swallowtail. The males and some females are yellow. Since I was seeing the yellow ones in my garden at the time, that makes me think this is probably of the same species. Again, experts feel free to weigh in in the comment section.  :)





 Black Swallowtail seeking nectar from a daylily


Eastern Tiger Swallowtail 







Giant Swallowtail

Painted Lady

We also see monarchs but I wasn't able to find a good photograph. Here's hoping for many beautiful butterflies at Sunsplash Gardens in 2014!

Linking to Fertilizer Friday




LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails