Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Not a gentle hobby...

"A garden is not a gentle hobby for the elderly, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and once it has done so he will have to accept that his life is going to be radically changed."  - May Sarton

So true -

My life has been changed by this beautiful place, a place of peace, a place of glory, a place of hard work and challenges. I don't know what I'd do with myself if I didn't have a garden!

My late summer garden looks like this:
 Lythrum, much loved by bees, can be invasive. I'm keeping a close eye on it.


 I have numerous Verbena bonariensis plants (self-sowing annuals) throughout my gardens. The butterflies adore it.


 I planted an heirloom sunflower mix - here's one, and below an even prettier one.





 A broader view


 Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm' is a staple in my late summer/fall gardens.


 The tomatoes are doing great!


 A few of my herbs


 Pretty cleome



 Love this area of the garden. I call it the "Rocky Garden" as there are many large rocks for landscaping there.


 Buck rose 'Carefree Beauty'


 An unidentified clematis - it was supposed to be 'Louise Rowe', but I don't think so. Pretty nonetheless!


 Clematis 'Crystal Fountain'


 The phlox are doing well. I deadhead, hoping for more blooms.


 The daylilies are slowing down. Still blooming above is 'Planet Max' and below 'Virginia B. Hansen.'




 On the left, 'Perfect Pink Princess;' front and center, 'Frans Hals.'


 The swamp milkweed prepares to spread.  :)


The dainty lavender flowers are apparently from a self-sowing annual. I planted this last year, and it came back; I don't know the name of it.


Sweet Tortie, my garden buddy

I hope you are all enjoying your summer!


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails