Thursday, May 17, 2012

Let's Walk in the garden!

Hi, I'm Beth and I blog about my garden and my "tea parties."  Today it's the garden, which is so easy to blog about these days...there seem to be endless photo ops in my Iowa garden. It's lush and beautiful and flowers abound. Take a look around, and oh, yes, please introduce yourself if we haven't met, as I'd love to visit you as well!


Talk about cool! This is Pinellia tripartica atropurpurea, which was gifted to me by Don of  An Iowa Garden.

We visited Don's garden in April and I posted about it here.



 The Nigella are blooming very early this year. Nigella, aka Love-in-a-mist, is an annual that self seeds. Because our winter was "warm," the Nigella seeds germinated in the fall and were already 6-8" high in early spring.


This is a true blue flower and I love the delicate foliage.



Sisikyou showy primrose Ochothera



 Lavender 'Munsted'


Lavender 'Hidcote'



Clematis 'Piilu'







 Papaver orientale 'Orange Scarlet'


 Larkspur


The lupines continue to bloom.

 Lupines fronted by Baptisia


Spires of pink
For information on growing lupines, you can check out my earlier post.

Also, I had mentioned that lupines may not grow in warmer climes. However, there are those famous "bluebonnets of Texas," which are a type of lupine. Obviously there are some cultivars suited for the South. Toni of Signature Gardens shows some in her Texas garden. If you look at the photos carefully and compare the leaves, the ones she shows have rather blunted or rounded tip leaves whereas mine have pointed tips - so definitely different cultivars. Anyway, if you are lusting over lupine and have a Southern garden, you might want to contact Toni for tips.


Views from above: West side of the cottage garden; in the background you can see the raspberry garden and part of the triangle garden


 East side of the cottage garden and farther to the east (right) is the rocky garden - not a true "rock garden," but a garden with many pretty rocks...


 More of the cottage garden


North side of the cottage garden - note the raised beds - I have ten but they are not all visible in this photo. The raised beds are planted with herbs, tomatoes (Rose, Jet Star, and Early Girl), zucchini, lettuce, spinach, radishes, snow peas, corn, mini pumpkins, and strawberries. 


Mr. Oriole and I say thanks for stopping by!

"Don't wear perfume in the garden - unless you want to be pollinated by bees." ~Anne Raver

Beth

Linking to Fertilizer Friday

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails