Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A Stroll Down Lupine Lane

Lupines are one of my favorite flowers. This year they are present in my garden in abundance. One clump (several plants) has produced 30 blooms thus far, with more to come. Let's take a walk in the cottage garden or as I wish to think of it today, Lupine Lane.

Most of my lupines are Russell hybrids, many planted from seed.

Striking spires of white


Blues/purples are common amongst lupine and my garden is so exception.

Lupine can be difficult to grow. Part of the difficulty may relate to the gardener not realizing that lupines are short-lived perennials. Thus, I plant some every year. They like somewhat acidic soil. Since mine is alkaline, I modify it with sulfur. I also add compost.

I have heard that one should not let the bloom go to seed, as this weakens the plant and may cause its demise.

Lupines develop a long taproot, thus, transplantation is difficult. Another thought: if you have difficulty growing lupines, put a little peat in the planting hole.


Remember too that lupine is an alpine type plant. It may not survive in the warmer climes. 

This lupine used to bloom in red but appears it has reverted to the more common purple/blue.









Thanks for strolling down Lupine Lane with me. Would you care to walk a little more about the garden? There are some other bloomers...
Clematis 'Nelly Moser'


Peony 'Star Power'


Can you guess what this is? Scroll on down...


Papaver orientale 'Royal Wedding'




"There is no gardening without humility. Nature is constantly sending even its oldest scholars to the bottom of the class for some egregious blunder." ~Alfred Austin

Thanks for visiting!
Beth

Linking to Fertilizer Friday

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails